Queensbury Fever Hospital 1893-1945 – Submitted by Queensbury History Society

Isolation Hospital

THE ISOLATION HOSPITAL

The hospital on Long Lane, now divided into dwellings known as The Balcony, was built in the days when infectious diseases were still a major medical problem. On 24th June, 1882, a deputation was sent to meet John Foster and son to see about buying a field in Long Lane for such a hospital, but it was unsuccessful. In April, 1893, however, the same people agreed to buy land from George Ambler for £280 and a hospital with about 20 beds was built by the Local Board and opened the same year.

Continue reading