In 1844 Dr. Joseph Fawthrop L.S.A. was living in The Square. The triangular plot of land bounded by High St., Chapel St. and Albert Road used to be called Dr Moor (where Moor St .gets its name) and The Square was situated in this area. Dr Fawthrop was said to be the first resident doctor in the village.
The Square is the only recorded doctors residence until 1855 when a second John Fawthrop gave his address as The Willows (apparently the same house).
The original building was pulled down in 1895 when Mr. F C Foster built for Dr Peck the impressive (purpose built at the time for general medical practice) building that stands today on the High St. The Willows then became the vicarage for the Parish Church in 1919 until 1983 when The Yorkshire Bank took over. The original name (now used by our modern Medical Centre) can still be seen carved in stone on the gable end of the projecting wall overlooking the High St. In the wall of that wing on the left of the path to the main bank entrance, the blocked up entrance to what was the waiting room can be seen.
A telephone exchange had been built in Thornton in 1900 and in 1910 had 13 Queensbury subscribers, (prior to that only Fosters Mill and a member of the Foster family had a telephone connected through Bradford). The Willows phone number was Thornton 7.
Prior to 1858 doctors were not registered nor regulated by the General Medical Council as today. Since that year only fully qualified doctors have been registered and allowed to practice, but fortunately for the inhabitants of Queensbury, all its doctors, even from 1844 were fully qualified.
The Census for 1841 records 3,045 inhabitants in Queensbury, this increasing in 1861 to 6,006 due to the opening of Fosters new Mill in 1835.
The other doctors’ residences and surgeries were
3 Northfield Terr., 1887 to 1911
Craig-na- Hullie at Sandbeds,1908 to1987
Innisfree at West End, 1927 to1962
5 Briggs Villas, 1962 to 1974
50 West End (Dunboy House) 1918 to 1966