THE ISOLATION HOSPITAL
The hospital on Long Lane, now divided into dwellings known as The Balcony, was built in the days when infectious diseases were still a major medical problem. On 24th June, 1882, a deputation was sent to meet John Foster and son to see about buying a field in Long Lane for such a hospital, but it was unsuccessful. In April, 1893, however, the same people agreed to buy land from George Ambler for £280 and a hospital with about 20 beds was built by the Local Board and opened the same year.
The Central block housed the Matron and local GPs provided medical cover.
An interesting account in the Council Minutes of Feb 1985 notes that the Hospital Committee decided not to supply beer to the nurses but to pay them money instead!
In the first 10 years there had been 251 patients: 249 cases Scarlet Fever,1 of Diphtheria and one of Enteric Fever. Four cases of Scarlet Fever died. Unfortunately no record exists of the total number of patients treated in its 52 yrs of existence.
Since the advent of Sulphonamides in 1937 and Penicillin in 1942 and the subsequent inoculation programme, the Hospital was closed in 1945. Patients who needed isolation where sent to Bradford Isolation Hospital on Leeds Rd.
Prior to 1948 a horse drawn ambulance was kept in Nelson St at Samson Bairstow’s bought by the Local Board.
Locals remember being taken in the horse drawn ambulance, the left of the building being for diphtheria and the right for scarlet fever.
Have you any memories of this hospital we would love to hear them?
Queensbury History Society