Queensbury had three distinct names; up to 1702 it was known as CAUSE-WAY-END (Causeway End): then in 1702 it was re-named QUEENSHEAD, after the coaching inn in the reign of Queen Anne; and then in 1863 it was renamed QUEENSBURY.
The name was changed to Queensbury after a public meeting – because of a religious revival some residents thought it to be disrespectful to be called after a public house so the village chose “Queen” to celebrate Queens Victoria’s title and “bury” derived from a Saxon Word meaning a stronghold.
In the early 1700’s packhorses used very narrow tracks and were the only means of transporting goods between towns and villages. They followed paths over the rugged land that stretched from Shelf Moor, Hainsworth Moor, Swales Moor and Pineberry Moor.
An entry in James Parker’s book states:
“The aspect around Queenshead must have been a very bleak one at this time, from the corner of Denholme and Brighouse turnpike rd, near the Stag’s Head Inn, vast moorland existed to Mountain and Micklemoss, only a few farmhouses here and there. At Ford there were a few antiquated houses and from thence onwards it was a wild beggar less place”.
The roads were narrow at this time because the stagecoaches and wagons had not begun to run so a turnpike commissioner was appointed by Parliament and roads were improved.
In 1741 turnpike roads were built – 40 feet wide including ditches. The one that came through Queenshead ran from Leeds to Manchester. A Turnpike was a gate that stretched across the road with a spiked top and was opened only after a toll was paid; this was abolished on1st November 1861, so for 120 yrs the people had to pay to travel through the village.
In 1555 an act of Parliament stated that all people could be called upon to work on the roads in their township if repairs were necessary. (It’s a shame this act is not in force today).
The enclosure awards of 1780 meant that much of the land was divided up by walls and new roads made.
The Black Dyke Mill was founded in 1835, becoming the main source of employment in the village.
Sheila Thornton Archivist email@example.com